By Sylvie Fodor This blog collects funny and less funny stories from the picture business. It is regularly up-dated. Send us your posts!
New story (January 2017)
- Thai hostess with glamourous life style but photoshoped pirated visual content attracts 150.000 followers on Instagram. Until she has to delete her account.
- US Presidential Elections
Is Donald Trump a pirate too? The “Bowl of Skittles” image used in an advertisement campaign against Syrian refugees is being sued for copyright infringement.
- Spoted on Google’s street view
Over-zealous Google protects #privacy of of a cow. More on BBC Click here
- Facebook categorizes Napalm iconic Vietnam war picture of photographer Nick Ut as pornography
The Gardian reports Click Here
- Brexit story 2
Right to One’s Image is still relevant. Team GB threatens to sue Brexit campaigners over Olympic video as Silver medal-winning cyclist objects to his image being used by pro-Leave group.
- ##Brexit story 1
Nissan sues Leave campaign for using their brand. Make sure you use the right photos when there is a logo!
- This story is not one of misuse of an image, rather if what happens when images are used too many times, in particular stock images for editorial usage …
Click Here to view the story
- A normal piracy story on the Internet
This blog story (for German readers only …) is interresting, not because it is unusual but precisely because it has become so usual …
- Good faith is not enough as a defense
Two French companies produce without authorization T-shirts displaying the famous picture of Che Gevara by Korda. They say they downloaded the picture from a Canadian website providng “royalty free”, “libre de droit”, content. Too bad the photo is protected and being a
good-faith user is not enough as a defense says the Court.
- Stolen pictures for an ad campaign
“We did our best to find the photographer” is not an excuse as this is not that complicated to find photographers, especially when you know their names. Come on …
To read about this case: here
- Facebook uses picture of dead girl for advertising of dating site
There are many issues related to Facebook’s new privacy policies. This case blatantly illustrates just one amongst them. Click here
- Personality rights do matter
Woman sues major picture agency after a picture of her appears in an anti-HIV advert.
- Sara Palin
Even politicians don’t seem to know how to handle pictures. Sara Palins is being sued for copyright infringement.
- Elections in Germany
Very unfortunate: ahead of the upcoming Bundestag elections in Germany, both the liberal and right extremist parties FDP and NPD find themselves using for their campaign a video clip showing the same family, which on top of this was previously to be seen in an advertising for Finnish yoguhrt!
Click here to see clip (in German)
- A stolen photo becomes a contest winner.
Click here to know how.
- Murdered boy advertises for kindergarten
The jazz festival of Montreux aplogized for the use of the image of a small murderd boy, Gregory. He had been murdered in France in the 1980s. A 20-year old graphic designer downloaded the picture from Google Images. The picture of the 4-year old was used in the festival’s magazine, proudly advertising for their Kindergarten! Here is the link to the story (in German).
(Non exhaustive) list started in 2013