The European Commission is proposing to create the first ever Digital Europe programme – a new programme part of the “Single Market, Innovation and Digital” chapter of the EU’s long-term budget proposal – and invest €9.2 billion to align the next long-term EU budget 2021-2027 with increasing digital challenges.
The Commission’s proposal focusses on five areas:
- Supercomputers €2.7 billion ;
- Artificial intelligence (AI) €2.5 billion ;
- Cybersecurity and trust €2 billion ;
- Digital skills €700 million ;
- Ensuring a wide use of digital technologies across the economy and society: €1.3 billion