Under the circumstances of the new media regulation enforced by the Russian government (Roskomnadzor), which is heavily restricting media freedom, the Board of EANA considers that TASS finds itself in violation of the purpose of EANA as it is laid out in the Statutes of the Alliance, not being able to provide unbiased news, which stand at the core of EANA’s mission statement.
Having this in mind, and also the request from members to expel TASS from EANA, the Board, as the executive body of the Alliance, has unanimously decided to immediately suspend TASS from EANA, until a General Assembly will decide, according to the Statutes, whether TASS should be excluded from our Alliance.
EANA serves as a forum for cooperation and exchange of information and experiences among European news agencies. The purpose of EANA is to safeguard and promote the common interests of its members in all areas essential to their work and activities. EANA’s aim is to secure that member news agencies can work as providers of unbiased news. EANA supports the principles of freedom of the press and shall strive to facilitate for member news agencies to work in accordance with these principles. EANA currently has 32 members from all over Europe.
The Board of EANA:
- Clemens Pig, President of EANA, Chairman of the Board of Directors and CEO of APA – Austria Press Agency, Austria
- Fabrice Fries, member of the Board, President and CEO of AFP, France
- Elmir Huremovic, member of the Board, General Manager of the Federal News Agency FENA, BiH
- Clive Marshall, member of the Board, Chief Executive of PA Group, UK
- Alexandru Ion Giboi, Secretary General of EANA